Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Rights

Most of these things I had no idea were my rights. My Social Worker gave me this list and I want to share it with you. This is what an abuse-free life looks like:


Things to remember everyday:

* I have the right to be treated with dignity, compassion, and respect at all times.
* I have the right to make my own decisions about the course of my life.
* I have the right to have dreams - and to work toward making these dreams come true.
* I have the right to feel good about myself as a person and a woman.
* I have the right to choose who will be my friends, whom I will spend time with, and whom I will confide in.
* I have the right to make mistakes.
* I have the right to change my mind (Have you ever heard the saying "If you haven't changed your mind lately, maybe you don't have one"?)
* I have the right to be happy.
* I have the right to ask for what I want.
* I have the right to follow my own values and standards.
* I have the right to express all of my feelings, both positive and negative.
* I have the right to say no.
* I have the right to determine my own priorities.
* I have the right not to be responsible for others' behavior, actions, feelings or problems.
* I have the right to my own needs for personal space and time.
* I have the right to be in a non-abusive environment.
* I have the right to change and grow.
* I have the right to have my needs and wants respected by others.
* I have the right to be uniquely myself.

2 comments:

  1. And without having to be made to feel GUILTY about any of it. Those are YOUR RIGHTS. And rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true that is. I've been made to feel guilty about it ALL the time.

    Thanks for telling me.

    ReplyDelete